Since I am such an egg lover, I have a hard time making breakfast recipes that don’t include them. I feel like I branched out a bit with my recent breakfast fried rice recipe just by saying you could leave the egg out if you choose. 🙂 So I really tested my willpower with this Whole30 Chorizo Breakfast Skillet. It’s made with sugar-free chorizo, potatoes and peppers and it’s pretty delicious if I do say so myself. No egg needed!
In this recipe I used gold potatoes. I find that these potatoes require less cooking time than russet potatoes since they’re a but smaller and a bit more soft. This helps the skillet come together in less than 20 minutes. This Whole30 chorizo breakfast skillet only requires one pan which makes both prep and clean-up easy peasy. I usually start my skillets with whatever takes the longest to cook, which in this case would be the potatoes. However,I like to cook the chorizo before the potatoes for a couple reasons. One being that I like to set the meat aside on a plate with a paper towel to drain some of the grease from the chorizo. The other reason is that the residual grease makes for the perfect seasoning to cook up the potatoes.
I love using chorizo because it’s so flavorful. It’s what made this other chorizo cauliflower bake so tasty! When I did my first Whole30 I had such a hard time finding compliant chorizo. Everything I found was full of added sugar. Definitely one of my biggest Whole30 realizations. I now use Mulay’s or Pederson’s Farms and I have been happily whipping us recipes with chorizo and breakfast sausage ever since.
This recipe makes four servings and each portion was nice and hearty. You can add more veggies if you are so inclined. I think throwing in some spinach and letting it wilt naturally with the heat would be a perfect addition if you are trying to increase your vegetable intake.
Full disclosure: I did my best to keep this egg free but if you really just can’t control yourself, I won’t tell anyone if you throw one on top (wink wink). My husband actually insisted that I put an egg on his so I know I’m not alone.
Other Whole30 Breakfast Recipes You Will Love!
- 12–14 oz sugar-free chorizo (I use Mulay’s or Pederson’s)
- about 5–6 medium gold potatoes, diced (about 4 cups worth)
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1–2 tbs avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- optional: cilantro and avocado for garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon of avocado oil in a large skillet on medium high heat
- Add in garlic and onion, sautéing for 1-2 minutes until onion is translucent
- Add in chorizo and cook until done, breaking into crumbles
- Set chorizo aside on a plate lined with a paper towel to soak up the excess grease
- Add diced potato to pan (with an additional tablespoon of avocado oil if needed)
- Cook until potato begins to soften (about 5 minutes) and then add diced peppers
- Once potatoes and peppers are cooked through and tender, add in chorizo and mix well
- Garnish with cilantro and avocado and serve!