This post may contain affiliate links
Since I am such an egg lover, I have a hard time making breakfast recipes that don't include them. I feel like I branched out a bit with my recent breakfast fried rice recipe just by saying you could leave the egg out if you choose. So I really tested my willpower with this gluten-free Whole30 Chorizo Breakfast Skillet. This dish is made with Whole Foods such as sugar-free chorizo, potatoes and peppers and it's pretty delicious if I do say so myself. No egg needed!
Here is everything you will need to make this egg-free breakfast skillet
Step By Step Instructions
I usually start my skillet meals with whatever takes the longest to cook, which in this case would be the potatoes. However, I like to cook the chorizo before the potatoes for a couple reasons. One being that I like to set the meat aside on a plate with a paper towel to drain some of the grease from the chorizo. The other reason is that the residual grease makes for the perfect seasoning to cook up the potatoes.
Step 1: Heat avocado oil in a large skillet on medium high heat and then add in your chopped onion, and minced garlic.
Step 2: Add in the chorizo and break into crumbles. I like to use a ChopStir for this. Set aside your chorizo on a paper towel to catch some of the grease.
Step 3: Add a little more avocado oil if needed and then add diced potatoes to your skillet. Heat until potatoes begin to soften. Then add bell peppers.
Step 4: Continue to cook until potatoes and vegetables are fork tender.
Step 5: Serve with sliced avocado and cilantro
This Whole30 chorizo breakfast skillet makes four servings and each portion was nice and hearty. You can add more veggies if you are so inclined. I think throwing in some spinach and letting it wilt naturally with the heat would be a perfect addition if you are trying to increase your vegetable intake.
Other Whole30 Breakfast Recipes You Will Love!
Whole30 Breakfast Skillet: Chorizo, Potato & Veggies (Egg-Free)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 12-14 oz sugar-free chorizo (I use Mulay's or Pederson's)
- about 5-6 medium gold potatoes, diced (about 4 cups worth)
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1-2 tbs avocado oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- optional: cilantro and avocado for garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon of avocado oil in a large skillet on medium high heat
- Add in garlic and onion, sautéing for 1-2 minutes until onion is translucent
- Add in chorizo and cook until done, breaking into crumbles
- Set chorizo aside on a plate lined with a paper towel to soak up the excess grease
- Add diced potato to pan (with an additional tablespoon of avocado oil if needed)
- Cook until potato begins to soften (about 5 minutes) and then add diced peppers
- Once potatoes and peppers are cooked through and tender, add in chorizo and mix well
- Garnish with cilantro and avocado and serve!