This recipe for chicken tortilla soup is one that I have been making for years because it’s the easiest thing ever and SO delicious. We are never not in the mood for it at my house. So, I’m not quite sure why it took me so long to get it on the blog but we are rectifying that today! This tortilla soup recipe can be made Paleo and Whole30 compliant as well as Keto friendly. It’s so easy to customize. There are only 7 ingredients (minus some basic oils and seasoning) so it is a super easy recipe that you can meal prep for dinners and have throughout the week. Like I did for the past 2 weeks in a row. This recipe is for the Instant Pot but I also included stove top instructions below for those of you who need it!
Like I mentioned before, this soup is made with about 7 ingredients. A couple of them are actually optional which makes things even easier if that were possible. Here is what you’ll need:
- Chicken breast
- Chicken broth (you can use bone broth if you want to up the protein count of this soup)
- Salsa – you can use your favorite salsa for this recipe. I find the thick and chunky varieties work best so you get more of the thickness and tomato chunks you need.
- Chopped white onion
- Diced green chiles
- Frozen corn (omit for Paleo/Whole30)
- Coconut milk - if you are sensitive to coconut milk you can use unsweetened nutpods creamer instead. My affiliate code "BEAUTYANDTHEBENCHPRESS" gets you 15% off your nutpods order!
Besides these ingredients all you will need are your favorite toppings. I like cilantro, avocado, tortilla strips and lime wedges in mine! If you don’t have any dietary restrictions feel free to add a little cheese (I love queso fresco on this soup!) or sour cream! Both of those additions will still keep this soup lower carb.
Another thing to note is that you can leave out the coconut milk if you choose. I like to add it to give the soup a little more creaminess but you can leave it out if coconut milk isn’t your thing. Your soup will just be a little thinner.
Can I make this tortilla soup Paleo/Whole30?
Absolutely! The only things you will need to be aware of when it comes to staying Whole30 compliant with this soup is omitting the corn and making sure your salsa does not contain added sugar.
For toppings, you can use cilantro, avocado and lime wedges to stay Whole30 compliant. If you want to just stay Paleo, feel free to add tortilla strips made from almond or cashew flour. To do this, I cut up a couple Siete Foods cashew flour tortillas into strips and then cooked them in the air fryer at 370 degrees for about 5-7 minutes and I had the perfect crispy tortilla strips that are also paleo friendly.
How to prepare this soup on the stove?
You can easily make this creamy chicken soup on the stove top. The advantage to the Instant Pot is that you do not have to have your chicken cooked ahead of time. On the stove top, you will need all the same ingredients but it’s easiest to start with previously cooked and shredded chicken.
What you will do is heat a large pot on medium high heat and add a little avocado oil. Then add your chopped onion and sauté for a couple minutes. From there, add in your chiles, corn, salsa and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and add in your shredded chicken and coconut milk before mixing together. Then garnish with your favorite toppings.
Other Easy Soup Recipes You’ll Love:
- Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
- Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup
- 15 Min Black Bean Soup
- Creamy Chipotle Chicken Soup
- White Chicken Chili
This creamy chicken tortilla soup is the perfect quick and easy recipe. This soup is paleo and keto friendly and can also be made Whole30 compliant. You can also make it in the Instant Pot or on the stove top!
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 4 cups chicken broth (or bone broth)
- 2 cups salsa (thick and chunky salsa works best)
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- ¼ cup canned coconut milk
- 1 4 oz can diced chiles
- 1 tbs avocado oil
- Set Instant Pot to Sauté mode and when heated, add in avocado oil and chopped white onions, sauteing for 1-2 minutes.
- Turn off Sauté mode and add in broth, salsa, chiles and frozen corn then nestle chicken breast into the mixture. Set Instant Pot to pressure cook for 9 minutes and set valve to Sealing.
- When ready, allow Instant Pot to release naturally (just leave it after the 9 minutes are over) for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes use a wooden spoon to manually release the rest of the pressure by turning the valve to Venting.
- Shred your chicken breasts with 2 forks either in the Instant Pot or remove chicken from pot and shred on a cutting board.
- Add shredded chicken back to Instant Pot and add in coconut milk. Stir to combine.
- Serve in a bowl with your favorite toppings!
*nutrition facts are for soup recipe as written without garnishes
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 205
- Fat: 4.7
- Carbohydrates: 13.5
- Protein: 23.2