Soup in the in the Instant Pot is one of my favorite quick and easy weeknight meals. This creamy chipotle chicken soup is paleo and Whole30 compliant but still rich, creamy and so comforting. This recipe makes multiple servings making it great for meal prep.
What You Need For Creamy Chipotle Chicken Soup
The main ingredients in this recipe are chicken, chipotle powder, bell peppers, potatoes, broth and coconut milk. All of which are paleo and Whole30 compliant. If you aren’t concerned with keeping things Whole30 friendly, I highly recommend adding some diced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. It gives the recipe a nice smoky flavor. Most chipotle peppers in adobo sauce contain soybean oil or sugar which would be out for Whole30 but if you can find some that doesn’t – throw them in!
One thing to note is I like to add bone broth to my soups in place of chicken broth. This is just personal preference but I like increasing the protein content of my meals as well as for the added benefits of bone broth. It contains collagen, aids in digestive health and has benefits for your joints, just to name a few! I like Kettle and Fire. (You can use code BATB15 for 15% off your order.)
If you prefer mild spice, feel free to alter the amount of chipotle powder in the recipe. I happen to love spice so I always add more but do what you need to for your personal preferences.
Making Instant Pot Chipotle Chicken Soup
The Instant Pot is such a useful tool when it comes to making quick soups. I start this one by sautéing the onions and peppers before adding in the chicken breasts, diced potatoes and other ingredients. After pressure cooking for 10 minutes, simply remove the chicken breast, shred with 2 forks and then place it back in the Instant Pot along with your coconut milk. You are left with a delicious dairy-free, gluten-free Whole30 soup that the whole family will love!
Try these Instant pot Recipes Next!
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breast
- 3 cups cubed red potatoes
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 14 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced
- 1 small white onion diced
- 2 tbs ghee
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- cilantro, jalapeño and avocado for garnish
- To prepare, chop your veggies and salt and pepper your chicken breasts
- Set Instant Pot to saute mode and when warm add in ghee, minced garlic and onion
- Saute for about 1-2 min then add red bell pepper and sauté for about one more minute
- Turn off saute mode and then add chicken breasts, broth, potatoes, diced tomatoes and all seasonings to pot
- Place lid on Instant Pot and set to high pressure for 10 minutes turning valve to sealing
- When ready, use a wooden spoon to turn valve to venting, being careful to avoid the steam
- Remove chicken breast and shred with two forks before retuning to pot
- Add lime juice and coconut milk and mix thoroughly
- Garnish with cilantro, jalapeño and avocado if desired
Cook time does not include time for Instant Pot to come to pressure
Nutrition facts calculated with bone broth vs. chicken broth
- Calories: 377
- Fat: 11.1
- Carbohydrates: 24.7
- Fiber: 1.4
- Protein: 39
Keywords: soup, instant pot, whole30, paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free
Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a small commission if you decide to make a purchase after clicking through the link. The products linked are ones I use personally and wholeheartedly recommend.
Thank you for your continued support!