It’s below 75 degrees in San Diego guys. You know what that means! Time for soup recipes! I love fall and I love soups so as soon as the weather gets cooler, that’s all I want to make. Plus, soups are so easy to throw together in large batches to have meals on hand for the week. This 15 minute black bean soup is something I make often during the fall and winter months. It’s tasty, super filling and like the name suggests, it’s ready super quick. It’s one of the staples I keep in my back pocket when the soup mood strikes.
I am all about customization in recipes so if you see something in the ingredient list you don’t like, sub it out! Cooking should be fun so feel free to experiment a little. I like my food on the spicier side but if that’s not your thing then just adjust the seasonings accordingly. And obviously, you can top your soup with whatever deliciousness you like. I like to serve this with a few tortilla chips for a little extra crunch. Sometimes I make it more Mexican inspired like I did here or I add a little bacon, greek yogurt (for sour cream) and some light mozzarella. Picture like a baked potato soup but with black beans. Trust me, still tasty! I mean, there’s bacon so….duh.
Sometimes I will play around with a couple other variations with this recipe. One thing I like to do is use a jar of salsa instead of diced tomatoes and jalapeños. It gives me more of the spice I am looking for and depending on the salsa I choose, it adds a different flavor. Try a chipotle salsa! So good!!
The other thing I vary from time to time is the consistency. In this recipe you mix the soup in a blender or a food processor. Whatever you have at your disposal. I like to blend about half to three quarters of the soup and leave the rest unblended for a thicker consistency. Those are just some different ways you change things up and customize the soup to your liking. Go nuts!
Other Soups You’ll Love:Print
This easy 15 minute black bean soup is perfect for busy weeknights. It’s a healthy meal prep option that is so tasty the whole family will love it!
- 2 cans black beans (rinsed)
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilis
- 1 cup broth (I used bone broth for extra protein but any broth will do)
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cilantro, olives, avocado & green onion for garnish
- Warm a pot on medium heat.
- Once warm, spray with a little olive oil and add garlic and onions, sautéing for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add black beans, diced tomatoes, diced chilis, seasonings and broth to the pot and bring to a low boil (about 5-7 minutes).
- When beans are tender, transfer 1/2-3/4 of the soup to a blender and pulse until desired consistency is reached.
- Add the blended soup back to the pot and stir to mix with the unblended portion
- Pour into 4 bowls, top with your favorite garnishes and serve!
*Nutrition facts calculated for soup only with bone broth. Toppings will change nutrition information.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 220
- Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 40.8
- Fiber: 8.9
- Protein: 15.3
Keywords: quick, easy, healthy, meal prep