This post may contain affiliate links
When I first read about shakshuka a few years ago I was like, "um say what now?" I had no clue how to pronounce it. All I knew was it looked delicious and I needed it in my life. Since then, I've made a few different variations of this meal. I actually used to make it pretty often back in the day but I sort of forgot about them for a while. I'm so glad it is back in my cooking repertoire. I am a huge fan of anything spicy (hello spicy taco skillet and taco casserole!) so a Mexican style shakshuka sounded like perfection and spoiler alert: it was!
I've been so busy lately with my full-time job, keeping up with the blog and now a new podcast. So meal prep and quick and easy meals are my JAM! I mean they always are but especially now. This recipe is so easy to make and it is so flavorful despite the simple ingredients. It's also makes me feel good knowing I am getting in a good amount of veggies with this meal!
The one thing I forgot to grab from the store was jalapeños. I mean of all things to forget for a spicy Mexican flavor. Definite face palm moment. Next time I will definitely add some jalapeño to the mix. The spicier the better!
This entire recipe is keto friendly as well as paleo and Whole30 compliant. When the mood strikes I add in some feta and it's the tastiest little addition to this meal. If you are eating paleo or Whole30 you would obviously just omit the cheese and you got yourself a compliant meal.
I'm already planning what other types of shakshuka I can make. I loved the flavors in my Greek meal prep bowls so I'm thinking a Greek version sounds fab! Maybe a spicy tomato barbecue? I'm into it. Ok but first things first, this Mexican style shakshuka awaits!Print
Mexican Style Shakshuka: Keto Friendly, Paleo & Whole30 Option
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 3 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 6 eggs
- 1 medium green pepper
- 1 medium red pepper
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes (I used Cento)
- 4 oz can diced green chilis
- 2 Tbs avocado oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- optional garnish: cilantro, jalapeño, avocado, sliced black olives and feta (omit for paleo & Whole30)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
- Heat avocado oil in a large skillet and once hot, add in diced bell pepper
- Sauté for about 5 minutes then add onion, garlic and seasonings and cook for about 3 more minutes
- Once the veggies are tender, add in crushed tomatoes and bring to a simmer
- Simmer on low heat for 5-7 minutes
- Create 6 small indents in the tomato sauce with a spoon and crack in the eggs into each space
- Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes or until egg whites are set
- Top with garnish and enjoy!