I got a fever! And the only prescription is – more buffalo! If you don’t know that reference then I’m not sure we can be friends. Just kidding. Kinda. Anyways, I’m back and I am adding to my collection of buffalo sauce recipes with this Whole30 buffalo chicken casserole. It’s satisfying, delicious and made with healthy real food ingredients. Not only that, but it’s perfect for meal prep!
Check out my other favorite buffalo sauce recipes!
You know how you get into your cooking routine and you find yourself eating the same thing over and over? And you’re just needing some more meal prep ideas to break you out of your rut? That’s been me the past couple weeks. I was getting a little bored with my food so I wanted to spice things up. Literally. I love casseroles for meal prep because they’re just so easy. I have a spicy taco casserole, and a breakfast casserole up here already so I figured a buffalo casserole would fit right in. You get about 6 servings for 1 recipe that you can just stick in the oven while you go about your merry way making another meal while you’re waiting. Efficiency and multitasking at it’s finest my friends!
For this recipe, I used Frank’s Red Hot Sauce. You can use your favorite buffalo sauce but I love Frank’s because when I’m doing a Whole30, it’s a readily available and relatively inexpensive compliant option. And if you’re not doing a Whole30, the macros on this are awesome! Mixing the Frank’s with a little Ghee and arrowroot powder gives it a nice creamy texture. I’ve been using arrowroot powder in my recipes a lot lately and I’ve been loving it! Just 1 teaspoon helps to thicken up liquids so it’s great for sauces like this. I use it for things like my cilantro lime chicken skillet or anytime I want a creamier sauce base.
To get shredded chicken quickly, you can either throw some chicken breast in an instant pot like I did or grab a rotisserie and you’re good to go. In the instant pot, I just added my chicken breast with about 1 cup of broth and set it to poultry. It was ready to go in about 30 min! Another way to speed things up is to use shredded carrots instead of dicing them yourself. I’m all about convenience! Pre-riced cauliflower and shredded carrots for the win!
A quick drizzle of your favorite compliant ranch is the perfect mix of flavors in this recipe. I prefer Primal Kitchen Foods vegan ranch. It’s definitely my favorite Whole30 compliant option. (PS: you can save 10% on your order with the code “BEAUTY10”) But if you’re not worried about being Whole30 compliant, slather on some bleu cheese! And while you’re at it, some bleu cheese crumbles! 🙂Print
- 1 – 1 1/2 pounds cooked shredded chicken
- 3 cups riced cauliflower
- 1 cup Frank’s Red Hot Sauce (or your favorite buffalo sauce)
- 4 eggs
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 2 celery stalks sliced
- 1 Tbs Ghee (I use Fourth & Heart )
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp arrowroot powder (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Optional but you really need it: ranch for drizzling!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prep veggies by dicing celery and carrots
- In a small sauce pan over medium high heat, melt 1 tbs of ghee and add minced garlic
- Once melted, add in buffalo sauce and arrowroot powder and continue to heat until it begins to simmer. Set aside to cool. (Sauce will thicken as it cools)
- In a mixing bowl, add shredded chicken and pour in half of the sauce mixture (1/2 cup). When it’s cool enough to handle, use hands to thoroughly coat chicken
- In a separate bowl add in eggs, salt and pepper and scramble with a fork
- Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray and add in cauliflower, carrots, celery, chicken mixture and more salt and pepper if desired. Mix everything thoroughly. I used my hands to really get in there
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 min. Remove from oven and pour in eggs. Use a fork to distribute the eggs evenly throughout the casserole
- Bake uncovered for an additional 20-25 min. Remove from oven and pour remaining buffalo sauce over the casserole
- Cut into 6 portions and drizzle with your favorite ranch!
- Serving Size: 1/6 of the recipe
Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a small commission if you decide to make a purchase after clicking through the link. The products linked are ones I use personally and wholeheartedly recommend.Thank you for your continued support!