This recipe for air fryer buffalo chicken strips is a healthier alternative to your typical fried buffalo chicken strips. It is made with minimal oil but you still get all the flavor and the perfect crunchy chicken strip! These air fried buffalo chicken strips are made with Panko crumbs but I have also included a paleo version so you can make your chicken strips even healthier as well as low carb!
Chicken strips are a family friendly household staple and buffalo chicken strips in the air fryer is the perfect way to make them a little tastier and healthier! Your air fryer is a great tool to heat up packaged frozen chicken strips but when you don't have those available, these homemade air fryer buffalo chicken strips will do the trick!
I prepared these buffalo strips two ways. One with panko crumbs which gives the chicken strips a great crispy crunch and another made with almond flour and egg which still tastes amazing but makes the recipe lower in carbs as well as paleo friendly. To make your chicken strips you will need:
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Strips in the Air Fryer
I like to follow a dry-wet-dry method when cooking breaded chicken in the air fryer. I have found these helps keep the "breading" on my chicken tenders and gives me the best texture for my air fryer buffalo chicken strips.
Step 1: Set almond flour on a plate, beat an egg into a bowl and then add panko crumbs (or more almond flour if you are doing a low carb or paleo version) to another plate.
Step 2: Working in an assembly line, dip your chicken tender first into the almond flour, then the egg, then then roll into the panko crumbs until your chicken tender is coated.
Step 3: When the chicken tenders are coated, add them in a single layer to your air fryer. Spray with a little cooking spray and air fry at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes or until cooked through and no longer pink, flipping halfway though.
Step 4: Remove chicken tenders from the air fryer and add to a bowl. Top with the buffalo sauce and gently toss to coat each chicken tender with sauce. Serve with celery sticks and ranch!
Recipe Notes and Variations
Other Air Fryer Recipes You Will Love:Print
These air fryer buffalo chicken strips are quick, easy, delicious and a healthy way to enjoy chicken strips without frying! A paleo and low carb version is also included.
- 1 lb chicken breast strips
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¾ cup Panko crumbs - (skip for low carb or paleo option)
- ½ cup almond flour (I use Bob's Red Mill) (Use 1 cup for paleo/low carb option)
- ½ cup buffalo sauce (I use Primal Kitchen Foods, use code BEAUTY10 for a discount on your order!)
- salt and pepper to taste
- ranch for dipping (I love Primal Kitchen Foods Vegan Ranch
- Place beaten egg, almond flour and panko crumbs in 3 separate plates/bowls
- Dip chicken strips into the almond flour, then the egg wash, and roll in panko until well coated.
- Place in air fryer and spray the top of the chicken with a little cooking spray
- Air fry at 375 for 7-8 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes or until no longer pink
- Remove chicken from air fryer and place in a mixing bowl. Add buffalo sauce to bowl.
- Toss chicken gently in buffalo sauce until well coated
- Serve with celery, carrots and ranch
Nutrition facts listed for version with Panko.
Nutrition facts for Paleo/Whole30 version are: Calories: 232, Fat: 10.4, Carb: 3.3, Protein: 30.5
- Serving Size: 4 oz chicken or ¼th of recipe
- Calories: 273
- Fat: 10.6
- Carbohydrates: 11.9
- Fiber: 1.4
- Protein: 31.6
Keywords: air fryer, appetizer, paleo, whole30, low carb
Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a small commission if you decide to make a purchase after clicking through the link. The products linked are ones I use personally and wholeheartedly recommend.
Thank you for your continued support!