So this is my first time making a frittata and I waited so long to do so. They are the easiest things ever! It makes multiple servings and reheats well which makes it great for meal prep. Add in the fact that you can basically throw in any ingredients you want and you have a formula for a meal that I plan on making over and over. This southwest breakfast frittata is healthy, low carb and Whole30 compliant which I need in my life this month.
I used my 12 inch cast iron skillet from Lodge (which I LOVE) and it was the perfect size. You could also throw this in a baking pan and make it as a casserole and call it a day. Either way you slice it (literally and figuratively), it’s a healthy & delicious meal. Frittatas are also a sneaky way to add some extra veggies to your day. I had some leftover broccoli I needed to use up so I threw it in along with some spinach and bell peppers.
What gives this recipe a southwest feel is the jalapeños and the ground beef. I cooked the ground beef and seasoned it with a taco style mix which added a nice little kick to the meal. If you’re not into spice, just decrease the amount of chili powder and make sure to remove the seeds from your jalapeño. A little avocado and hot sauce to top it off was the perfect finishing touch.
I’m all about easy recipes that are good for meal prep (like my breakfast muffins and easy sheet pan breakfast!) and this one fits the bill. Since it made 8 servings I put them into individual containers and the hubs and I had it for breakfast for the next 4 days. The eggs did not taste weird reheated and everything kept its texture/shape and all that jazz. I highly recommend tossing this one into your meal prep rotation!
- 1 lb ground beef (I used 92% lean)
- 12 eggs
- 2 heaping handfuls of spinach leaves
- 1 cup chopped broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1 medium green bell pepper diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper diced (with slices reserved for garnish)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- salt & pepper to taste
- avocado for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Add avocado oil to a cast iron skillet warmed on medium heat.
- Add garlic, bell pepper, jalapeño and onions sautéing until onions are translucent (1-2 min)
- Add ground beef and seasonings to pan and cook until mostly brown, breaking into crumbles.
- When beef is mostly cooked, add broccoli and spinach to skillet and continue to cook until spinach is just wilted, then remove from heat.
- Crack eggs into a bowl and whisk together with salt and pepper. Add to skillet.
- Place skillet in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until eggs are set (check eggs using a fork. It may look slightly runny but if the fork comes out clean you should be good to go)
- Slice and garnish with avocado and jalapeño slices!
Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a small commission if you decide to make a purchase after clicking through the link. The products linked are ones I use personally and wholeheartedly recommend.
Thank you for your continued support!