This post may contain affiliate links
Frittatas are insanely easy dishes to make! They make multiple servings and reheat well (within three days) which makes them great for meal prep. Add in the fact that you can basically throw in any ingredients you want and you have a formula for a meal that I plan on making over and over. This southwest breakfast frittata is delicious and so full of flavor. It's healthy, low carb and Whole30 compliant so it's great for a quick and healthy breakfast option for the whole family.
I used my 12 inch cast iron skillet from Lodge (which I LOVE) and it was the perfect size. You could also throw this in a baking pan and make it as a casserole and call it a day. Either way you slice it (literally and figuratively), it's a healthy & delicious meal. Frittatas are also a sneaky way to add some extra veggies to your day. This southwest breakfast frittata is made with bell pepper sand onions but you can throw in any extra veggies you have on hand.
Whole30 Frittata Ingredients
To make this frittata you will need the following:
- Ground beef (I used 96/4 to keep things on the leaner side)
- Bell peppers - choose your favorite colors!
- Diced green chilis
- Some basic seasonings - taco seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder
- avocado oil and/or avocado oil spray
What gives this recipe a southwest feel is the mixture of peppers and ground beef. This recipe is pretty mild so if you are into spice like I am, feel free to add some chili powder or more taco seasoning to suit your needs.
How to make this Low Carb Frittata
Tp get this recipe started you will want to make sure your veggies are chopped and ready to go. The peppers and onions will get heated in your cast iron skillet first before throwing in your ground beef and seasonings. Once your beef and veggies are cooked, you are ready to add in your whisked eggs. Make sure the bottom of your cast iron skillet is lightly coated with the oil and that you also spray the sides so before adding in the eggs to avoid sticking.
Once your eggs are whisked together and added to the skillet, your frittata will bake in the oven until the eggs are set. Once it's cooled a bit you can cut into slices and add your favorite garnishes or toppings. I love adding hot sauce and avocado to mine. This southwest breakfast frittata is also so delicious with a little sour cream if you tolerate dairy!
Other Breakfast Recipes You'll LovePrint
Southwest Breakfast Frittata
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven, Stove Top
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Gluten Free
This frittata recipe is delicious and easy to put together for breakfast. It's a healthy breakfast option the whole family will love!
- 1 lb ground beef (I used 96% lean)
- 10 eggs
- 3 medium bell peppers, diced (I used green red and orange)
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilis
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- 2 tbs unsweetened nut milk (or you can use full fat canned coconut milk for more creaminess)
- 2 tbs taco seasoning (I like Primal Palate)
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (I like Primal Kitchen Foods - code "Beauty10" gets your a discount on their website!)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- avocado for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Add avocado oil to a cast iron skillet warmed on medium heat. While this is heating, crack eggs in to a mixing bowl and add onion powder, garlic powder, almond milk and salt and pepper. Whisk together.
- Add onion and diced bell peppers, sautéing until veggies begin to just soften (about 3-4 minutes)
- Add ground beef and taco seasoning to pan and cook until no longer brown, breaking into crumbles. (IK love using my chop n stir for this!)
- Remove skillet from heat and mix in canned green chilis. Spray the sides of the skillet with avocado oil spray. Add in your whisked eggs and use a fork to distribute evenly through the pan
- Place skillet in the oven and bake for 14-17 minutes until eggs are set (check eggs using a fork. It may look slightly runny but if the fork comes out clean you should be good to go)
- Slice into 6 or 8 servings and garnish with avocado and jalapeño slices!
*nutrition info is calculated for 6 servings
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 228
- Fat: 11.8
- Carbohydrates: 5
- Fiber: 1.2
- Protein: 26.6
Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a small commission if you decide to make a purchase after clicking through the link. The products linked are ones I use personally and wholeheartedly recommend.
Thank you for your continued support!