I made this recipe during that time between Thanksgiving and Christmas when you're trying to decide if you should throw in the towel and eat every indulgent morsel of deliciousness thrust before you or try and keep it together and exercise some self-control. Luckily, with this Meal Prep Taco Breakfast Scramble, you can have your tacos and eat them too. The ingredients are gluten-free and dairy-free along with being paleo and keto friendly. I am all for taking health and fitness day by day and fueling your body with what makes you feel good while still enjoying life. I think this taco breakfast scramble accomplishes both.
By now, you guys know I'm a huge advocate of meal prep and my weekly meal prep routine is something I have kept up for years. This recipe fits perfectly into my meal prep rotation. Some people are a little iffy about meal prepping eggs but I find they last just fine if eaten within three days. If you're not convinced, make this meal for a weekend breakfast or try out my egg-free chorizo breakfast skillet!
My husband has been making fun of me lately when I title my recipes. I have a clear flavor profile trend on my blog and a good chunk of my recipes seem to involve taco, spicy or southwest in some sort of casserole or breakfast form. So when I was throwing together a different breakfast and he commented something along the lines of "is this a spicy, taco breakfast recipe?", I promptly threw a kitchen towel at him. And then I made a note in my phone to make this taco breakfast scramble. Don't tell him he was my muse. I'll never hear the end of it.
Examples of my husband being right:
I doused this recipe in hot sauce because I'm a sucker for spice. If you're not as into spice, feel free to alter the amount of chili powder in the recipe for more of a mild flavor. I hope you make this meal prep taco breakfast scramble during your next meal prep and if you do, let me know how you like it and tag me on Instagram!Print
- 1 lb ground beef (I use 90/10)
- 6 eggs
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- ½ cup white onion, diced
- 2 tbs avocado oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- garnish: avocado, cilantro, olives
- Heat avocado oil in a medium skillet
- Add in onion, garlic and peppers sautéing until peppers begin to soften (about 5 minutes)
- Add ground beef and spices and cook until no longer pink, breaking meat into crumbles
- Crack 6 eggs in a small bowl, add salt and pepper and scramble with a fork
- Once peppers are tender and meat is cooked through, create an opening in the middle of the skillet and pour in scrambled eggs
- As eggs begin to set, gently mix everything together in the skillet
- When eggs are cooked, divide into 4 containers and top with cilantro, avocado and jalapeño slices