This salsa fresca is pretty much perfection if ya ask me. The best salsa ever in my opinion. It’s my husband’s recipe and it was about time I got it on the blog to share with you all! The flavors blend so well together and it’s the perfect companion for your favorite tortilla chips or Mexican inspired dish, like these air fryer flautas! With only 6 ingredients, this Salsa Fresca recipe is easy to prepare, chock full of veggies and fits many dietary preferences. It is paleo, Whole30 compliant, vegan and low carb.
How To Prepare Salsa Fresca
The great thing about using a food processor is that you don’t have to chop your own vegetables much. I usually chop them in half just to fit them easily into the food processor but that’s all you need. Also, when it comes to preparing your salsa fresca, I find pulsing the food processor works best instead of holding it down for continuous processing. This keeps things a bit more chunky and textured.
STEP 1: Chop your onion in half and add to the food processor. Pulse a several times until onion is finely chopped.
STEP 2: Add in your tomatoes. I usually chop in half or quarters before adding it in. Again, use the pulse feature on your food processor to get your desired texture.
STEP 3: Add in your cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice and kosher salt. Proceed with a several more pulses until your desired texture is reached.
STEP 4: Taste the salsa and add in more lime juice, salt or cilantro as desired. Your end result will be a little foamy from the food processing but this will die down as the salsa settles. I recommend letting your salsa chill in this fridge for a couple hours before serving to let the flavors blend together.
Variations and Modifications
Frequently Asked Questions
I find it tastes best if eaten within 4 days.
You can make this recipe in a blender as well. Just use the pulse feature instead of blending continuously.
Yes! I actually think this salsa is even better when made ahead of time. It tastes best after a couple hours in the fridge to settle. It’s even more delicious the next day!
Use your Salsa Fresca on these recipes!
This salsa fresca is the best salsa I’ve ever had! With only 6 ingredients, this Salsa Fresca recipe is easy to prepare, chock full of veggies and fits many dietary preferences. It is paleo, Whole30 compliant, vegan and low carb.
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1 jalapeño (with or without seeds depending on your spice preference)
- 1/2 white onion
- 1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (I add a little more than this for my salt preference but start here and see what works best for you)
- Add your onion to the food processor and pulse until finely chopped
- Next, add in your tomatoes and pulse with the onion until you get a chunky pulp-like texture
- Add cilantro, jalapeño, lime juice and kosher salt. Pulse several times until salsa is well mixed and desired texture is reached.
- Taste test your salsa to see if you need any more lime or salt. Store in a bowl with a lid and leave in the refrigerator for a couple hours to allow the flavors to mesh together.
- Serve with your favorite tortilla chips!
*leave out jalapeño seeds for less spice
*nutrition information calculated for the entire recipe
- Calories: 132
- Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 30
- Fiber: 7
- Protein: 4.6
Keywords: paleo, keto, vegan, whole30, low carb