I was planning out my meal prep last weekend and I was trying to think of something simple, healthy and quick. This spicy taco skillet fits that description perfectly. It’s healthy, flavorful and so easy to make. It’s also a great healthy option with all paleo and Whole30 compliant ingredients. Like sheet pan meals, this recipe is an easy one pan meal that comes together in no time.
Spicy Taco Skillet Ingredients
I love making recipes that are customizeable and this Whole30 taco skillet is no exception. I used a filling blend of ground beef (I use 90/10), potatoes and veggies as the base. For the vegetables I used bell peppers, diced tomatoes and onion. You can adjust to whatever vegetables meet your preferences but these went together perfectly for this skillet.
When it comes to toppings, you can play around with your favorites. If you aren’t worried about keeping this recipe paleo and Whole30 compliant, you can add cheese, sour cream and tortilla strips. I kept things compliant with olives, jalapeños, green onions and avocado.
Preparing Your Taco Skillet
In this recipe the potatoes take the longest to cook. If you want to speed things up a bit you can place the potatoes in a microwave safe bowl and cover with a damp paper towel before microwaving for about 6 minutes. This starts to soften the potatoes just a bit faster.
I typically start with the ground beef and onions. Once it is cooked through you can remove it from the skillet to begin on the potatoes. Once the potatoes are beginning to crisp in the skillet, you will begin adding the rest of your ingredients, including your seasoned ground beef and onions. This recipe can easily be increased to make 6-8 servings by adding in more ground beef and potatoes.
This spicy taco skillet, is a great recipe to make for busy weeknights or for meal prep lunches throughout the week!
Other One Pan Meals You’ll Love
- 1 lb lean ground beef (I used 90/10)
- 4–5 red potatoes chopped (Yukon Gold works also!)
- 1 cup diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 medium green bell pepper diced
- 1 4 oz can diced chiles
- 1/2 cup chopped white onions
- 1 tbs taco seasoning (I like Primal Palate)
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- green onion, olives, jalapeño & avocado for garnish
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a skillet and diced onions. Sauté for 1-2 minutes or until onions are fragrant
- Add ground beef and taco seasoning into skillet. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, breaking into crumbles, the add diced bell pepper
- Remove ground beef and peppers from skillet and set aside. If needed, add more oil to pan and then add potatoes. Continue to cook until potatoes are tender (about 10 minutes).
- Add ground beef back into skillet along with diced tomatoes, bell pepper and green chiles
- Cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes
- Top with your favorite garnishes and serve!
Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a small commission if you decide to make a purchase after clicking through the link. The products linked are always ones I use personally and wholeheartedly recommend.
Thank you for your continued support!