When I was trying to decide what to name this recipe I learned an important distinction. Flautas are rolled tacos made with flour tortillas and taquitos are rolled tacos made with corn tortillas. So with that said, this recipe is for air fryer flautas. This recipe is paleo friendly, low carb, gluten-free and dairy-free. It’s super simple to make and a healthy alternative to your favorite taco shop dish the whole family will love.
To make these air fryer flautas you only need a few ingredients besides your toppings. You will need:
- Tortillas. I use Siete Foods almond flour tortillas. These tortillas are paleo friendly and Siete Foods also has other versions such as chickpea, cashew flour and cassava flour. You can choose your favorite but I found the almond flour to work the best in the air fryer . Feel free to use normal flour tortillas also if you’d like!
- Shredded chicken or shredded beef mixed with some basic seasonings. You can use shredded rotisserie chicken to make things even easier. Or you can whip up some of my Instant Pot Shredded Beef.
- Avocado oil spray
Those are the main things you’ll need besides the fun part – aka: your toppings.
For the toppings, I like to use Pico de Gallo, guacamole and shredded lettuce. You can use store bought Pico de Gallo or you can make your own with chopped tomato, onion and cilantro. If you tolerate dairy, I definitely recommend adding a little sour cream and cotija cheese!
How To Assemble Your Air Fryer Rolled Tacos
Guys, this recipe could not be easier. Basically you’re gonna roll up some shredded meat into your tortilla, roll it up and place it in the air fryer . Easy peasy! I would recommend warming up your tortillas for about 10 seconds in the microwave before adding the meat and rolling them up. This will keep them pliable so they don’t begin to break as you roll them up.
Make sure to place your tortillas seam side down and then spritz with a little avocado oil spray . About 5 flautas will fit in my air fryer at a time so I make mine in batches. You only need about 5-6 minutes before your rolled tacos are crisp and ready to go.
Once they’re done, you simply add your favorite toppings and serve!
Other Mexican Inspired Recipes You’ll LovePrint
- 8 almond flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded chicken (or shredded beef)
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic power
- ½ tsp onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pico De Gallo
- 1 tomato, diced
- ½ Onion, diced
- 2 tbs, chopped cilantro
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- Optional: sour cream, cotija cheese
- Heat a skillet on medium-high heat and spritz with avocado oil cooking spray
- Add in the shredded meat and chili power, garlic powder, cumin, onion powder and salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly until meat is warm and seasoned then remove from heat.
- Spray the bottom of your air fryer with a little avocado oil spray
- Heat tortillas in the microwave for about 10 seconds until they are pliable for rolling.
- Add about 3 tbs of the meat mixture onto one end of the tortilla and begin to roll. Once fully rolled, place the flauta seam side down in the air fryer , using a toothpick to secure if necessary.
- Continue assembling your flautas until the bottom of your air fryer is covered. (Mine fit about 5-6 at a time)
- Spray the tops of the flautas with a little more oil spray and air fry for 6-8 minutes at 370 degrees
- While flautas are air frying, mix the diced tomato with the onion, cilantro and lime juice
- Add flautas to a plate and top with guac, then pico do gallo and shredded lettuce.
Note: If using me recipe for Instant Pot shredded beef, you can skip the steps 1-2