This kale cobb salad is high on my list of meals I never get sick of. Maybe because it has one of my favorite flavor profiles of chicken, bacon and ranch (like my bacon ranch chicken salad and chicken baron ranch skillet)! And then you add in hardboiled egg, tomato, feta and avocado and it’s a salad made in heaven. These flavors just pair so well together and the kale gives a great crunch versus traditional romaine. This recipe is low carb and gluten-free and you can also modify to make it paleo and Whole30 compliant as well. This kale cobb salad is perfect for when you want a filling meal that is also nice and fresh for the warmer months.
How To Prepare Your Salad
Before you begin cooking, add your kale to a large salad bowl so you can layer on your ingredients as you go.
STEP 1: Cook bacon on a skillet to your preferred level of crispness. Once bacon is cooked, set aside to cool and reserve the bacon fat to cook your chicken.
STEP 2: If you are using pre-made chicken, simply add it on top of the kale. If you are cooking your chicken, add your cubed chicken to the heated skillet along with garlic powder and salt and pepper. Heat until your chicken is cooked through and no longer pink. Then add the cooked chicken to your salad.
STEP 3: Crumble bacon and add to the salad
STEP 4: Next add your tomatoes and feta
STEP 5: Add the hardboiled egg. I cut mine in half but you can cut into several slices if you prefer.
STEP 6: Slice half an avocado and add it to your salad and sprinkle everything bagel seasoning over the top. Drizzle with ranch!
Variations and Modifications
Really you can modify this recipe completely for your preferences. You can also play around with the amounts. If you really love tomatoes or feta, add more! Go nuts! Nutrition info for the kale cobb salad will be for the exact ingredients listed in the recipe card below.
Frequently Asked Questions
To make this salad Paleo and Whole30 compliant, leave out the cheese. You will also need to make sure you choose a compliant ranch dressing, like primal kitchen foods as well as a compliant no-sugar added bacon. I like Applegate, Pederson’s Farms or Tender Belly.
Absolutely! I often make this for meal prep lunches the night before and use a salad container with separate compartments to keep things fresh. I keep the chicken, bacon and egg on the top section and add the kale, tomato and feta to the bottom. Then I just bring my avocado along in a stasher bag and slice it fresh!
Other Low Carb Recipes You’ll Love
This kale cobb salad is bursting with flavor! It is low carb and you can also modify to make it paleo and whole30 compliant as well! It’s the perfect fresh lunch or weeknight dinner.
For the Chicken
- about 4 oz chicken breast, cubed (you can use pre-made chicken instead to cut down on cooking time)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Salad:
- 2–3 cups chopped or shredded kale
- 1 slice no-sugar bacon
- about 5 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 hardboiled egg, halved
- 2 tbs crumbled feta
- 1/2 an avocado
- optional – everything bagel seasoning
For the Chicken
- Cook bacon in a skillet until it reaches your desired level of crispiness, then remove bacon from the skillet and set aside to crumble into pieces when cool enough to handle.
- Using the bacon fat left in the skillet, add in your cubed chicken breast, garlic powder and salt and pepper. Cook chicken until cooked through and no longer pink (about 7-8 minutes)
For the Salad:
- Add chopped kale to a large salad bowl
- Top your chopped kale with the cooked chicken, crumbled bacon, tomato, feta, hardboiled egg and avocado. Sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning and serve!
- Serving Size: 1 salad
- Calories: 484
- Fat: 26.1
- Carbohydrates: 17.6
- Fiber: 13.4
- Protein: 45.3
Keywords: paleo, keto, low carb, gluten-free