I love skillet meals! Skillet usually translates to easy and it also implies a one pan meal, which I am all for. Just like sheet pan meals, (like this breakfast sheet pan and chicken bacon ranch sheet pan), they make my life easier by speeding up my meal prep and minimizing my dishes. Sold! The recipe for this jalapeño lime chicken skillet is Whole30 compliant paleo, and keto friendly. This dish comes together in about 20-25 minutes. It’s the perfect meal to put on your meal prep list or throw on the stove on a busy weeknight!
Whole30 Chicken Skillet Ingredients
For this jalapeño lime chicken skillet you’ll need the following:
- chicken breast – I recommend using a tenderizer to get them a similar thickness so cook time is easier to gauge
- avocado oil – I use Primal Kitchen Foods (Code “BEAUTY10” gets you a discount on their website!)
- chicken broth – I love Kettle & Fire
- canned coconut milk – you can use full fat or light. I used light in this recipe but you can use full fat if you want a creamier sauce.
- Arrowroot Powder – I use this one. The arrowroot will help thicken up the sauce
- Limes and Jalapeños – obviously 🙂
How to Prepare the Jalapeño Chicken Skillet
The first step to preparing our chicken skillet is to cook the chicken. If you’ve pounded them to similar sizes, it will work best so you won’t have one piece of chicken requiring a longer cook time. Once the chicken is cooked (I recommend using a meat thermometer to ensure your chicken has reached 165 degrees), it’s time to work on the sauce. Set your chicken aside in some foil to keep it nice and warm while you cook the sauce.
At this point you will add in your sauce ingredients (outlined below) and bring the skillet to a boil. Once boiling, you will whisk in your coconut milk and arrowroot powder and set heat to simmer. Your sauce will start to thicken up and then you can add your chicken back to the skillet and drizzle with some fresh lime juice and extra sauce. This recipe is great served with your favorite side dishes. I love serving with asparagus and air fried potatoes (or even smashed potatoes or mashed potatoes!). You can also serve with cauliflower rice if you want to keep things lower carb.
Other One Pan Meals You’ll Love
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Skillet
- Spicy Taco Skillet
- Chorizo Breakfast Skillet
- Pesto Chicken and Rice Skillet
- 4 chicken breasts – (4–5 oz each)
- 1 cup chicken broth or bone broth
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 jalapeño, deseeded (1/2 diced, and 1/2 sliced for garnish)
- 2 tbs avocado oil
- 1 tbs ghee
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Juice of one lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heal oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat
- Once hot, add onion to skillet and sauté until onion is translucent (about 2 minutes)
- Add chicken, garlic powder and onion powder and brown on both sides (about 4-6 minutes per side depending on thickness or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees).
- Remove chicken breast from heat, wrap in foil and set aside
- Add broth, ghee, 1/2 of the lime juice and diced jalapeño to skillet and heat on high
- Once the liquid begins to boil, reduce heat to low and whisk in coconut milk and arrowroot powder until mell mixed. The liquid will begin to thicken.
- Add chicken back to skillet, spooning sauce over the top
- Squeeze the rest of the lime juice over the chicken and top with lime sand jalapeño slices to garnish
- Serve with your favorite sides. I love asparagus and air fried potatoes!
*I recommend pounding chicken down to similar thickness so cook time is similar
- Serving Size: 1 Piece of Chicken with Sauce
- Calories: 260
- Fat: 14.5
- Carbohydrates: 4.8
- Protein: 26.5