Happy Fall Friends! I am back with this recipe for instant pot Zuppa Toscana soup. This recipe is Whole30 compliant, super delicious and it’s ready in about 30 minutes thanks to the pressure cooker. This Zuppa Toscana is so easy to prepare and super flavorful. It's made with chopped kale, potatoes, onion, Italian sausage and coconut milk making it a great option for a Whole30, dairy-free and paleo meal option. This recipe works as an amazing copy cat Olive garden Zuppa Tosacana soup recipe!
This dairy-free Zuppa Toscana is made with whole food ingredients. Here is what you need:
Zuppa Toscana Instructions
The Instant Pot has terrified me for way too long. I bought one because of all the hype and then when I pulled it out of the box and saw all the buttons, I promptly put it back and left it in my kitchen unused for a while. That thing is intimidating! But once I took some time to read the directions things started to come together. It also helped that my husband is familiar with using old school pressure cookers and it basically works the same way so he schooled me on all things Instant Pot. I knew there was a reason I married him!
Step 1: To start, you will need push the sauté mode button on your Instant Pot. Once it gets hot, add in your oil garlic and onions. Continue to sauté until the onions become tender.
Step 2: Next, you will add in your Italian sausage and continue cooking for another few minutes. I like to use a chopstir to break into crumbles. Then press "Cancel" to turn the Instant Pot off sauté mode.
Step 3: Add your chicken broth and potatoes to the instant pot alone with the Italian seasoning. Cover and set your valve to "sealing". Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
Step 4: Once your soup is ready, flip the nozzle to "Venting" for a quick pressure release. I typically use a wooden spoon for this to steer clear of the hot steam.
Step 5: From here, all you need to do is add your coconut milk and kale. Add in the coconut milk first and stir to combine. Then toss in your kale. The kale will soften pretty quickly with the liquid and heat.
Step 6: Mix thoroughly and add some salt and pepper to taste before serving. I also love to garnish with red pepper flakes, parsley and crumbled bacon for extra flavor!
Variations and Modifications
Ok let’s get on with the recipe for this Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana!
Other Whole30 Soup Recipes You Will Love:
This recipe for Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana will become a new family favorite! This soup is easy to make, so delicious and healthy! It's dairy-free, paleo and Whole30 compliant.
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage (I like Pederson's Farms or Mulay's)
- 6 cups chicken broth (I like using Kettle and Fire Bone broth - code "BATBP15" saves you 15%! )
- 4 cups diced red potatoes
- 3 cups chopped kale
- ½ cup canned coconut milk
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- 2 tbs avocado oil (I love Primal Kitchen Foods - enter code BEAUTY10 for 10% off!)
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- 1 tbs Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- garnish - parsley, crumbled bacon, red pepper flakes
- Set Instant Pot to sauté mode and when ready add in avocado oil, garlic and onions. Sauté until onions are tender.
- Add in the Italian sausage and brown until almost cooked though, breaking into crumbles.
- Turn off sauté mode and add in chicken broth, potatoes and Italian seasoning
- Place lid on Instant pot and make sure nozzle is set to "seal"
- Set Instant Pot to pressure cook on high for 10 minutes
- When finished, flick sealing nozzle to vent for quick pressure release. Make sure to use a spatula to avoid hot steam!
- Once steam is released, open pot and stir in coconut milk and kale
- Divide into bowls and top with parsley, red pepper flakes and crumbled bacon if desired
Cook time does not include time for Instant Pot to come to pressure
Mix up your sausage! Add spicy chorizo for a kick or use hot Italian sausage!
- Serving Size: ⅙ of recipe
- Calories: 345
- Fat: 17
- Carbohydrates: 22.7
- Fiber: 1.8
- Protein: 23.6
Keywords: whole30, paleo, instant pot, zuppa toscana
Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a small commission if you decide to make a purchase after clicking through the link. The products linked are ones I use personally and wholeheartedly recommend.
Thank you for your continued support!