My husband and I used to eat a version of this soup from a local Greek restaurant (avgolemono soup). We have always been obsessed with it and I'm so excited to share a copycat recreation. This instant pot lemon chicken soup is so flavorful and delicious! It's a nice Greek spin on a classic chicken soup with chicken, rice and vegetables. The addition of the lemon egg sauce makes for the best flavor and texture! This recipe is super comforting and perfect for chilly nights. This recipe is naturally gluten-free and dairy-free. If you don't have an instant pot, click here for the stove top version.
Greek Lemon Chicken Soup Ingredients
This recipe does not require a ton of ingredients and most of them are pretty common so nothing should be too hard to find.
Step by Step Directions
I am a huge soup lover and some of my all time faves are made in the instant pot. Like my zuppa toscana, stuffed pepper soup and tortilla soup. This instant pot lemon chicken soup is actually really simple!
STEP 1: Set your instant pot to sauté mode and heat the olive oil. When hot, add in the carrots, onion, celery, minced garlic, salt and pepper and sauté until the vegetables begin to soften.
STEP 2: Press cancel to turn off sauté mode. From here, you will add in the chicken breast, rice and broth. Mix everything well, top the pot with the lid then set instant pot valve to the sealing position.
Step 3: Pressure cook on high for just 5 minutes. From here you will do a manual release by letting the Instant Pot release naturally for about 10 minutes before turning the valve to "venting" to release the rest of the way.
STEP 3: Remove the chicken breast from the pot and place on a cutting board to shred with 2 forks before adding the chicken back to the pot and mixing well.
STEP 4: Now it's time to make your lemon egg sauce. This sauce is what gives your soup that lemony flavor and thickens it up. Whisk together the lemon juice and the eggs in a small bowl, then slowly add about ½ cup of the warm broth from the instant pot while whisking continuously.
Step 5: add the lemon egg mixture to the instant pot and then remove from heat. Stir to combine the soup thoroughly.
Step 6: Garnish with parsley and feta before serving if desired.
Frequently Asked Questions
Click here for directions on how to make avgolemono soup on stove top! It's super easy!
Yes! My husband and I ate this for leftovers for 3 days straight and it was delicious each time. Just store in an airtight container.
You CAN however I wouldn't recommend it as it would change the texture and structure of the soup. You can add only the lemon juice if your prefer but your soup would be much thinner.
Yes! All the ingredients in this recipe are paleo and Whole30 compliant minus the rice. Simply replace the rice with cauliflower rice for a Whole30 compliant Greek lemon chicken soup!
Other Recipes You'll Love
This instant pot greek lemon chicken soup is so flavorful and delicious! It's a nice Greek spin on a classic chicken soup with chicken, rice and vegetables. The addition of the lemon egg sauce gives it the best flavor and texture! This recipe is super comforting and perfect for chilly nights. This recipe is naturally gluten-free but can also be made dairy-free by omitting the feta.
- 1 and a half pounds chicken breast
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ¾ cup long grain white rice
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Put instant pot on sauté mode and add olive oil
- Add celery, white onion, carrots, minced garlic and salt and pepper. Sauté for about 3-4 minutes until vegetables begin to soften
- Press cancel to turn off sauté mode and add chicken, broth and rice. Stir to combine making sure chicken is submerged.
- Cover instant pot and set valve to "sealing". Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes
- When ready, let the instant pot do a slow release for 10 minutes then turn valve to "venting" to remove the rest of the steam
- Remove chicken breast from instant pot and shred on a cutting board with two forks. Add shredded chicken back to the pot
- Whisk together two eggs with lemon juice. Slowly pour in the warm broth about a quarter cup at a time until you have added about ½ to 1 cup of the broth to the egg mixture. Continue to whisk as you pour in the broth.
- Once everything is combined well, add the lemon sauce to the soup and mix thoroughly. Remove from heat so the eggs do not begin to cook.
- Garnish with parsley (and feta if desired) and serve
*cook time does not include time for IP to come to pressure.
*make sure to add the broth slowly to your egg mixture while continuously whisking. This helps to increase the eggs temperature gradually and prevent the eggs from cooking in your broth
- Serving Size: ⅙ of recipe
- Calories: 287
- Fat: 6.4
- Carbohydrates: 26.1
- Fiber: 2.6
- Protein: 32.9
Keywords: gluten free, dairy free,
Sign Up For My Newsletter
This post about Instant Pot lemon chicken soup may contain affiliate links. If you choose to purchase something using one of the affiliate links, it costs you nothing extra but provides a small commission to help keep my website up and running. Thank you for your continued support!