I have been obsessed with Greek style food long before I went to Greece back in 2017. The food is so simple but the flavors are amazing and everything tastes so fresh! (If you also like Greek style fare, check out my recipe for Greek meal prep bowls and Greek pasta salad! as well!) This lemon chicken soup with rice is similar to avgolemono soup which is a traditional Greek style soup. It has all the makings of your favorite comforting chicken soup with veggies and rice but adds a delicious lemon sauce that makes all the difference! This lemon chicken soup is naturally gluten-free and dairy-free. Check out the FAQ section below for more information on how to make this recipe low carb, Whole30 compliant and paleo friendly!
I am a huge fan of soups for an easy and quick meal. I find they also make great options for meal prep! Some of my faves are my white chicken chili, 15 minute black bean soup, tomato basil soup and Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana.
The ingredients in this lemon chicken soup with rice are pretty common and you may even have most of these things hanging out in your fridge!
Step by Step Directions
This lemon chicken soup with rice is so easy to make on the stove top! If you have an Instant Pot and prefer to use that click here for that version of this recipe.
STEP 1: Heat olive oil in a dutch oven or large pot on medium heat. Add in minced garlic and vegetables and sauté until the veggies begin to soften.
STEP 2: Add in your chicken broth and bring to a boil. Once the broth is boiling, add in the rice and mix thoroughly. Cover your pot and simmer for 20 minutes.
STEP 3: Uncover the pot and add in the shredded chicken. Keep the heat on simmer while you prepare the most important part, your egg lemon sauce.
STEP 4: Whisk together the lemon juice and egg until well combined. Then you will temper the eggs by adding in a ladle full of the warm broth to the mixture. Add the broth in slowly while continuously whisking so your eggs do not begin to cook. Once your lemon sauce is ready, remove the soup from heat and add the sauce back to the dutch oven.
Step 5: Mix everything well to combine and serve with parsley and feta!
Variations and Modifications
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Check out the Instant Pot version of this soup here.
Yes! You can replace the rice in this recipe with cauliflower rice to make this Greek Lemon Chicken soup Whole30 compliant and paleo friendly. You can either add it in raw and reduce the simmer time to 15 minutes instead of 20 minutes. For a Whole30 compliant lemon chicken soup, make sure to also skip the feta as garnish.
Yes. Store in an airtight container and eat within three days for best results.
Other Recipes You'll Love
This lemon chicken soup with rice is similar to avgolemono soup which is a traditional Greek style soup. It has all the makings of your favorite comforting soup with chicken, veggies and rice but with a delicious lemon sauce that makes all the difference! This lemon chicken soup is naturally gluten-free but can also be made Whole30, low carb and paleo!
- 12-16 ounces cooked shredded chicken breast
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ¾ cup long grain white rice
- ½ cup Lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Heat olive oil in the dutch oven or a large pot on medium heat.
- Add celery, white onion, carrots, minced garlic and salt and pepper. Sauté for about 3-4 minutes until vegetables begin to soften
- Add chicken broth and allow to come to a low boil. Once boiling, add in rice and mix thoroughly. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes
- When ready, remove lid and add in shredded chicken. Keep heat on simmer while you prepare your lemon sauce
- Whisk together two eggs with lemon juice. Slowly pour in the warm broth about a quarter cup at a time until you have added about ½ cup to 1 cup of the broth to the egg mixture. Continue to whisk as you pour in the broth.
- Once everything is combined well, add the lemon sauce to the pot and mix soup thoroughly. Remove from heat so the eggs do not begin to cook.
- Garnish with parsley (and feta if desired) and serve
replace white rice with cauliflower rice and reduce simmer time to 15 minutes to keep things grain free and low carb
- Serving Size: ⅙ of recipe
- Calories: 227
- Fat: 5.9
- Carbohydrates: 26.1
- Fiber: 2.6
- Protein: 18.3
Keywords: paleo, whole30, low carb, dairy-free, gluten-free