This lemon chicken soup with rice is similar to avgolemono soup which is a traditional Greek style soup. It has all the makings of your favorite comforting soup with chicken, veggies and rice but with a delicious lemon sauce that makes all the difference! This lemon chicken soup is naturally gluten-free but can also be made Whole30, low carb and paleo!
- 12-16 ounces cooked shredded chicken breast
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup long grain white rice
- 1/2 cup Lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Heat olive oil in the dutch oven or a large pot on medium heat.
- Add celery, white onion, carrots, minced garlic and salt and pepper. Sauté for about 3-4 minutes until vegetables begin to soften
- Add chicken broth and allow to come to a low boil. Once boiling, add in rice and mix thoroughly. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes
- When ready, remove lid and add in shredded chicken. Keep heat on simmer while you prepare your lemon sauce
- Whisk together two eggs with lemon juice. Slowly pour in the warm broth about a quarter cup at a time until you have added about 1/2 cup to 1 cup of the broth to the egg mixture. Continue to whisk as you pour in the broth.
- Once everything is combined well, add the lemon sauce to the pot and mix soup thoroughly. Remove from heat so the eggs do not begin to cook.
- Garnish with parsley (and feta if desired) and serve
replace white rice with cauliflower rice and reduce simmer time to 15 minutes to keep things grain free and low carb
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 227
- Fat: 5.9
- Carbohydrates: 26.1
- Fiber: 2.6
- Protein: 18.3
Keywords: paleo, whole30, low carb, dairy-free, gluten-free