This recipe for quinoa pizza casserole is the perfect way to get that cheesy pizza flavor in a healthier way with a few easy swaps. This recipe is perfect for meal prep, gluten-free and uses just a few easy ingredients. Made with quinoa and your favorite pizza toppings, this pizza quinoa casserole is a highly customizable dish the whole family will enjoy!
Quinoa Pizza Casserole Ingredients
To make this recipe you will need quinoa first and foremost. I use dry quinoa and cook it in chicken broth but you could also used pre-made cooked quinoa if you find it (I believe Trader Joe’s carries a frozen option) to make things even easier. You will need about 3 cups prepared quinoa.
Besides the quinoa and the liquid you’re cooking it in, you will need your favorite pizza toppings. I use pepperoni, cooked Italian sausage, green peppers, olives and shredded mozzarella. You will also need tomato sauce, an egg to bind things together and some Italian seasoning.
How To Prepare
To prepare this pizza quinoa casserole you will start with the quinoa. I like cooking it with chicken broth instead of water for a bit more flavor. Another trick I love is using bone broth for additional protein. My favorite is Kettle and Fire. But really, plain old water is fine as well.
While the quinoa is cooking, I prep the rest of the ingredients by chopping the peppers, slicing half of the pepperoni and preparing the 9×9 casserole dish. I like to use parchment paper at the bottom of the casserole dish to help keep clean up easy.
Once the quinoa is cooked, add in the green pepper, cooked sausage, some of the shredded cheese, half of sliced pepperoni, Italian seasoning and marinara and stir it all together. I stir it all in the same pot I cooked the quinoa in and then transfer to the casserole dish.
Use a spatula to even out the quinoa mixture in the casserole dish. Then layer with the rest of the cheese, pepperoni and olives and bake for 25-30 minutes until cheese is bubbly. You can broil for a couple minutes at the end if you like more of a crispy cheese on top.
Pizza Quinoa Casserole Variations
Really whatever your favorite pizza toppings are works well in this pizza casserole. If you love mushrooms, you can make this a supreme pizza by tossing those in. Or keep things simple with just pepperoni and cheese. I also love to spice it up with some jalapeños.
Other Casserole Recipes You’ll Love!Print
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 oz cooked Italian sausage (use spicy if you like a kick!)
- 1 egg (you can also use 2 egg whites in place of an egg)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella + 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 oz pepperoni slices
- 2 tbs sliced black olives
- 1/2 tbs Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and cook quinoa according to package directions.
- Once quinoa is ready, in same pot add in tomato sauce, cooked sausage, 1/3 cup shredded cheese, diced bell pepper, Italian seasoning, egg and half of the pepperoni slices. (I like to slice the pepperoni that’s going into the post in half before tossing it in). Mix thoroughly.
- Add to a prepared 9×9 casserole dish using a spatula to pack your mixture down evenly. Top with remaining olives, pepperoni and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 min
Nutrition facts are for the specific products I used. Please note info may be different depending on which products you use.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 275
- Fat: 8.9
- Carbohydrates: 33.7
- Protein: 15.5