I love me a good casserole and this one is no exception. This Chicken Verde casserole checks all my boxes. It’s great for meal prep, it’s super tasty and it’s healthy. The ingredients are all gluten free, dairy free and Whole30 compliant. The other thing I love about this casserole is that it comes together so quickly. You’ll have dinner ready to go in no time!
Whole30 Chicken Verde Casserole Ingredients
To make this Chicken Verde casserole you will need a few things. One important ingredient are the hash browns. This is used to make the base for your casserole. I buy my hash browns frozen from Sprouts. The only ingredient in them are potatoes, which is exactly what I am looking for. Shredding your own potatoes also works if you prefer. You would need around 3-4 cups worth.
You will also want to use your favorite jar of green salsa or salsa verde. I like the one from Herdez but there are so many to choose from. Once you add in the shredded chicken, diced green chiles, riced cauliflower and eggs, you have the makings of this chicken verde casserole ready to go! When it comes to the riced cauliflower I am all about convenience so I purchase mine pre-riced but you can place a medium head of cauliflower in the food processor for the same result.
For garnishes, I like to top mine with cilantro and avocado. You can also add more hot sauce to this if you prefer more spice since the chiles in this and salsa verde are pretty mild.
Chicken Verde Bake Preparation
The first thing I do to prepare this chicken verde casserole is get my casserole dish ready. I like to line a 9×11 dish with parchment paper. This keeps clean up quick and easy when all is said and done. Then, I start to make the base of the casserole. This is the hash browns mixed with melted ghee and spices. Once this is at the bottom of your dish, pop it in the oven for 15 minutes to bake. I also like to broil my potatoes afterward for a couple minutes to get things nice and crispy.
The next layer of your casserole dish consists of the shredded chicken, riced cauliflower, green chiles, onion and beaten eggs. I like to heat up the riced cauliflower prior to baking to soften it up. Once that is done simply add in the shredded chicken, green chiles, and then mix thoroughly with the beaten eggs before adding to the top of the hash browns.
Top with your favorite green salsa before popping in the oven. This recipe is whole30 compliant but if you’re not worried about that, I highly recommend adding some shredded jack cheese on top.
Other Casserole Dishes You’ll LovePrint
- 16 oz bag of frozen hash browns, thawed
- 16 oz shredded chicken (about 3 cups)
- 16 oz jar green salsa (I like Herdez)
- 2 cups riced cauliflower
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 4 oz can mild diced green chilis, drained
- 2 tbs ghee
- 1 tbs avocado oil
- 1 tsp onion powder, divided
- 1 tsp garlic powder, divdied
- ½ tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cilantro and avocado for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a small bowl, mix hash browns with melted ghee, ½ tsp onion powder, ½ tsp garlic powder, salt and pepper and press into the bottom of a 9×11 casserole dish. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While the hash browns are baking, avocado oil to a skillet on medium-high heat and add riced cauliflower. Sauté until cauliflower is mostly tender (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add shredded chicken to the skillet along with diced chiles, ½ tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp onion powder, ½ tsp paprika, salt and pepper and beaten eggs. Mix thoroughly and remove from heat.
- When hash browns are ready remove them from the oven and set temperature to 350 degrees.
- Add cauliflower and chicken mixture on top of hash browns then top with salsa verde (and cheese if desired)
- Bake for 30-35 minutes
- Serve with avocado and cilantro
The eggs help bind things together but you can leave them out if you prefer.
I like to broil the hash browns for a couple minutes after baking to get them nice and crispy.
- Serving Size: 1/4th of recipe
- Calories: 327
- Fat: 12
- Carbohydrates: 25.5
- Fiber: 2.8
- Protein: 25.4
Keywords: whole30, casserole, dairy free, gluten free