If you are on the hunt for a super easy low carb snack, these air fryer kale chips will definitely be on repeat! Kale chips made in the air fryer give you that perfect blend of flavor and crunch when you're craving potato chips but want to munch on some veggies instead. These air fried kale chips meet almost any dietary preference. They are keto, paleo, Whole30 compliant, gluten-free and vegan. On top of that, they are quick and easy to make, coming together in just minutes!
Other Air Fryer Recipes You'll Love
- Air Fried Brussel Sprouts (paleo, Whole30, low carb)
- Air Fryer Buffalo Strips (paleo, Whole30 and low carb options included)
- Air Fried Fish Sticks (paleo, Whole30, low carb)
- Air Fryer Crispy potatoes (Whole30)
The ingredients for this air fryer kale chips are ridiculously simple. All you will need is:
How To Make Kale Chips in the Air Fryer
Step 1: Place your chopped kale in a bowl. Make sure to remove all the hard middle stems. Those pieces never get quite as crisp so I leave them out for the best texture.
Step 2: Spray your kale with oil spray. I spray enough to add some flavor but not too much. You really don't need a ton to get your kale chips nice and crispy in the air fryer. Then add in your seasonings and toss. At this point, I like to massage the oil in so that the kale chips are all coated evenly. Just use your hands to massage the oil spray and seasonings into your kale.
Step 3: Add your kale into the air fryer and cook at 375 degrees. Make sure to keep an eye on your kale as it air fries. It can go from crisp to burnt very quickly. I like to take the basket out and shake it every few minutes to make sure the kale crisps evenly. You can batch air fry your kale chips if you are air frying a lot at a time. It's best not to overcrowd the air fryer basket too much.
- The kale is pretty weightless once it starts to get crispy so with the hot air swirling around the kale can get thrown around near the vent and can get stuck. I just avoid this by pulling out the basket every couple minutes and shaking.
- Go easy on the salt and pepper, The first time I made these I put the usual amount of salt I would for any other meal and as the kale shriveled up and got crispy, all that salt really took hold and soaked in. So when I took them out of the air fryer to taste, it was like eating a tablespoon of salt and I had to trash it. Put way less than you think you need and then you can always add more if you want. This will help keep the sodium down as well.
Air Fried Kale Variations
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Making air fried kale chips on your own is a healthy alternative to store bought chips. Minimal oil is used.
For Whole30 purposes, store bought chips are out for the program but making your own kale chips is totally acceptable. Just make sure to use a compliant cooking oil and seasoning blend.
Yes! The only carbs homemade kale chips are in the kale itself and that is minimal. This whole recipe has only 10 grams of carbs and only 5 grams per serving.
Six to seven minutes at 375 degrees is what I find I gets me the best texture for kale chips.
This recipe for air fryer kale chips is a fun way to spruce up your vegetables! This recipe is healthy, easy and satisfies cravings for crunch with minimal amounts of oil! It is also keto, paleo, Whole30 compliant and vegan!
- 1 large bunch kale, stems removed (I grabbed a couple large handfuls from a pre-chopped bag)
- Avocado oil spray (or oil spray of your choice)
- ¼ teaspoon Chili powder (I use ½ a teaspoon myself for more of a kick)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rip kale into small pieces and remove hard spines
- Add kale to a large bowl, spray with oil spray and add seasonings
- Massage oil and seasonings into kale and place in the air fryer
- Air fry at 375 degrees for about 6-7 minutes or until desired texture is reached.
- Add to a plate and season with more chili powder if desired.
Check the basket every couple minutes to ensure kale does not get stuck in the air fryer vent
Go easy on salt until the end as the salt tends to soak into the kale quickly as it cooks
- Serving Size: ½ of recipe
- Calories: 60
- Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 5
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 2.2
Keywords: kale chips, paleo, whole30, low carb, keto, healthy, snack, air fryer