You can browse my site for about 3 seconds to discover how much I like breakfast foods. This Whole30 Chorizo Hash Brown Bake is one of my new favorites! It’s so easy to whip up which makes it perfect for your Meal Prep Sundays. It is paleo and Whole30 compliant and it’s seriously so delicious that I ate it for three days straight and still could have had it again.
I have another Whole30 breakfast casserole recipe here which is also a staple in my meal prep rotation. The difference with this recipe is the tasty hash brown crust and spicier flavor profile. To get a nice hash brown crust, I simply thaw out a bag of frozen hash browns, mixed in some salt, pepper and ghee and press it down into the bottom of a baking dish. You can shred your own potato to do this but I am just a girl who loves convenience and if I can find compliant frozen hash browns, then that’s definitely what I am gong to do. I buy my Whole30 compliant hashbrowns from Sprouts. You can check out my other favorite Whole30 compliant Sprouts items here!
Your potato crust can go in the oven while you prep the rest of your ingredients. Once the chorizo and peppers are ready to go you layer the chorizo mixture over the potatoes then top with your egg mixture. Back in the oven it goes and you have yourself a delicious Whole30 compliant Chorizo Hash Brown Bake that is perfect for breakfast. Or lunch. Or dinner if you're like me and can eat breakfast foods at any time.
The stay of this recipe is the chorizo. Chorizo has so much flavor that you dont need a lot of seasoning or extra oils in this recipe. One thing that was hard for me to find during my first Whole30 was compliant chorizo. My two faves are from Mulay’s and Pederson’s Farms. Both brands also have great sugar free options for breakfast sausage and Italian sausage. I used Mulay’s sausage in my recipe for Zuppa Toscana and it’s one of my faves!
Other Whole30 Breakfast Recipes You Will Love:Print
- 1 package (16 oz) frozen hash browns thawed
- 1 lb chorizo sausage (I like Pederson's Farms)
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 2-3 medium bell peppers
- 2 tbs almond milk
- 2 tbs ghee
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking dish with parchment paper
- Toss thawed hash browns with salt, pepper and 2 tbs ghee in a mixing bowl then press the hash browns down into the bottom of the baking dish
- Place baking dish in the oven for 15 minutes
- While crust is baking, cook chorizo in a skillet on medium high heat. Once the chorizo is about halfway cooked, add in bell peppers and onions and cook until chorizo is done and peppers are tender but crisp (about 5 more minutes)
- Add eggs, almond milk, onion powder, garlic powder and salt and pepper in a mixing bowl and whisk together
- Remove baking dish from the oven and layer with chorizo and peppers, then top with the egg mixture
- Place back in the oven at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until eggs are set
*Feel free to use whatever color bell peppers you prefer. I used green and red. You can also switch out the bell peppers for another of your favorite veggies.
*After the 15 minutes in the oven, you can broil the hash browns on high for 2-3 minutes for an even crispier crust
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 419
- Fat: 26.3
- Carbohydrates: 20.2
- Fiber: 2.7
- Protein: 26.3
Keywords: whole30, paleo, casserole, breakfast