Someone please tell me why it’s December and still 80 degrees in San Diego?! Global warming is real friends. Anyway, the heat won’t stop me from pretending it’s actually winter and making comfort foods like this bean free chili skillet. I am hopeful for some winter friendly temperatures soon but I won’t hold my breath. This recipe is paleo friendly and Whole30 compliant making it the perfect healthy comfort food!
I’m gearing up for a my very first round of Whole 30 next month and legumes are off limits so I wanted to experiment a little with a bean-less chili. This ended up being super hearty and filling. I prefer a thicker chili so I added a minimal amount of broth and turned this into more of a skillet meal. You can always add more if you like yours a little more on the soupy side. To be honest, I didn’t even miss the beans. Success! But if you are a bean lover feel free to add them in or check out my recipe for a spicy black bean soup.
Sidenote: Speaking of Whole 30, I will be posting all about my experience each week along with my favorite meals so stay tuned for that in the coming month!
Ok, back to this bean free chili skillet!
I had some leftover potatoes from a meal prep earlier in the week so I threw them in already cooked when I made this. If you don’t have some diced potatoes at the ready, you can cook them in the pan before you start the ground beef, which is how it’s laid out in the directions below. When all was said and done, I stuck the chili in meal prep containers and enjoyed it for lunch throughout the week.
You could also increase the ingredients to make more servings if you want more meal prep bang for your buck (or you just have a larger family to cook for). Another thing you can play around with for this recipe is the toppings. I kept my garnishes Whole 3o compliant by using avocado and green onion but you could totally add sour cream or cheese to this. Whatever floats your boat!
- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef
- 5–6 small red potatoes diced
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilis
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 – 1 cup bone broth (I used Pacific Foods)
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 Tsp minced garlic
- 1 Tsp chili powder
- 1 Tsp paprika
- 1/2 Tsp cumin
- salt & pepper to taste
- avocado & green onion for garnish
- Add oil to a large pan warmed on medium heat
- Add diced potatoes and cook until softened (about 7-10 minutes) then remove from heat and set aside
- Add garlic and onion to pan and sauté until fragrant (about 1-2 minutes)
- Add ground beef and spices and let cook until browned, breaking into crumbles
- Once ground beef is cooked through add potatoes back to pan along with tomato paste, bone broth, diced tomatoes, green chilis and chopped bell pepper
- Once the chili begins to boil, drop heat to low, cover and let simmer for 5 more minutes
- Top with your favorite garnish and serve!