Yet another air fryer masterpiece! I can’t help it guys. I’m obsessed with my air fryer. Think MTV will do a True Life episode on me? Seriously though, it’s just the coolest little kitchen gadget and saves time and dishes! I think the air fryer still has a lot of skeptics but lemme tell you my friends, don’t knock it til you try it. Besides “frying” up some awesome recipes, I have found that my air fryer is the best way to reheat previously crispy foods like chicken wings or fries. And let’s be honest, fries are NOT the same after they’ve been reheated in the microwave. I’ve done a recipe for buffalo chicken strips in the air fryer before but I hadn’t yet ventured out with other types of meat or fish until recently. Well, I am so glad I did this time! This air fried chili lime tilapia is super tasty, super easy and a healthy way to “fry” your fish.
Check out my other air fryer recipes here!
In terms of cooking method, I followed the same dry-wet-dry technique that I did with my chicken strips recipe. Frying times vary per air fryer as well as the thickness of your fish so it’s always a good rule of thumb to keep an eye on things to avoid ending up with sushi or on the other hand, totally over cooked tilapia. I just like to check every so often to make sure the fish is cooked to my liking. As for the chili lime flavor in this recipe you can absolutely make your own seasoning like I did here OR Trader Joe’s has a chili lime seasoning that works perfectly for this! Just a lazy girl (aka me) hack for another way to get the chili lime flavor!
This recipe can be served over lettuce for a fun take on a fish taco bowl (like the one in this Whole30 meal prep bowls post!) or it can be served with other veggies and rice to round out your meal.Print
Time to bust out that air fryer for an easy and healthy fish recipe! This air fried chili lime tilapia is so tasty and crispy without all the oil!
- 1 lb tilapia
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1/2 cup flour (I used Trader Joe’s gluten free flour)
- 1 –2 eggs (I used 2 but had a wee bit left over)
- 1 tbs chili powder (less if you’re not into spicy)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- On a plate wide enough to lay tilapia flat, mix panko with salt, pepper and chili powder
- Place egg and flour in separate bowls. Make sure to scramble the egg with a fork
- Spray the bottom of the air fryer with a little cooking spray
- Dip both sides of the tilapia in flour, then egg and then press into panko mixture until well coated
- Place in air fryer and spray the top of the tilapia with a little more cooking spray (I did mine in 2 batches since my air fryer is on the smaller side)
- Fry at 375 for 7-8 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 7-8 minutes or until cooked through
- Remove tilapia from air fryer and squeeze lime juice over the top of the fish
- Serve with some pico de gallo, lime wedges and avocado or with a side of your favorite veggie!
- Serving Size: 4 oz of tilapia
- Calories: 228
- Fat: 3.9
- Carbohydrates: 24.1
- Fiber: 0.5
- Protein: 24.1
Keywords: air fryer, seafood
Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a small commission if you decide to make a purchase after clicking through the link. The products linked are ones I use personally and wholeheartedly recommend.
Thank you for your continued support!