This creamy pesto chicken and rice skillet is the perfect easy weeknight meal. You can make this simple chicken skillet recipe using items found in your pantry or freezer. Not only is it so simple to make but it’s gluten-free and dairy-free, making it a healthy meal the whole family will love.!
- 1 –1.5 lb chicken breasts (4 breasts total. My chicken breasts were large so I cut them in half)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2–3 cups chopped spinach (or 1 package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed)
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved (or 1 14.5 oz can chopped tomatoes, drained)
- 1/3 cup Pesto Mayo
- 1–2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pat chicken breasts dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Mix together pesto mayo, chicken broth, rice and seasonings in a mixing bowl.
- Add olive oil and minced garlic to a warmed skillet on medium-high heat and sauté for 1-2 minutes
- Add to mayo, broth and rice mixture to skillet
- Top with chicken breasts and bring to a boil
- Once boiling, move rice mixture around with a spatula to avoid sticking to the bottom of the skillet, cover and cook on low heat for 20 minutes or until chicken is almost completely cooked
- While chicken and rice are cooking, prepare your spinach and tomatoes
- Add chopped spinach and halved tomatoes to skillet, cover and cook for 3-5 more minutes
- Divide into 4 bowls and serve!
- *Nutrition facts are calculated for 1.5 lbs chicken breast
- *If using bone broth nutrition facts are as follows: cals: 530, fat: 21, carbs: 37, protein: 46
- *I recommend checking your skillet halfway though cooking to move rice around again to prevent sticking.
- Serving Size: 1/4th of recipe
- Calories: 510
- Fat: 21
- Carbohydrates: 36
- Protein: 41
Keywords: gluten-free, healthy, quick and easy